Tuesday, March 11, 2014
Present: Marianne Burke, Kairn Kelley, Connie van Eeghen
Start Up: Hummus: many varieties, one good recipe – see Kairn and Connie for details.
1. Discussion: Marianne’s update
a. Developing an approach to evaluating the impact of information resources (such as library services) based on:
i. An intervention: information sources or service (UpToDate, Dynamex, Visual Dx, PubMed, Library…)
1. Could be supported by PRISM, but might take a while, and there is no ability to limit access to the new service
2. Could be supported by a separate website, which might be hard to track without personal observation
ii. Selected outcomes: advice given to patients, choice of drug, diagnosis, choices of test, LOS (based on provider survey on critical incident recall of library services with n=12,910)
iii. A selected setting: inpatient, outpatient, by department (Medicine, Family Medicine, Psychiatry, ED?)
b. We know that physicians are heavy users of data bases (for 20% of patients seen; 50% of questions asked are pursued…)
i. What is the value of a marginal change in access to information sources that providers demonstrate in terms of changed behavior as measured by the medical information system or by feedback forms gathered from the providers?
ii. Does making the resource readily available at the point of care improve the outcome?
1. This issue can be confounded by the settings and patients seen by the providers.
iii. Consider evaluating the access of information resources through IP addresses, with and without facilitated access, with and without training
1. For facilitated access, consider a cross-over design
c. Kairn provided a tree diagram graphic as an example demonstration of where to focus the research question and data collection
d. Marianne will continue and bring her work back to a future meeting.
2. Next Workshop Meeting(s): Thursdays, 11:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m., at Given Courtyard South Level 4. Remember: the first 15 minutes are for checking in with each other.
a. March 13: Connie: Opioid Rx Management Toolkit - sample
b. March 20: Rodger and Connie on SBIRT plan
c. March 27:
Posted by Connie at 3/11/2014 12:43:00 PM