Thursday, October 2, 2014
Present: Patricia Berry, Marianne Burke, Juvena Hitt, Kairn Kelley, Rodger Kessler, Ben Littenberg, Connie van Eeghen, Jon van Luling
Start Up: Rodger has been asked by AHRQ to deliver a presentation similar to the Letter of Intent that he, Ben and Connie have just submitted, with the likelihood that it will be avoided by colleagues who don’t want to change. He anticipates feeling frustrated.
1. Discussion: Rodger & Connie’s pre-training survey for students and residents prior to SBIRT training
a. Rodger is the PI, and Connie is the evaluator, of a SAMHSA funded training grant to teach residents and students (counseling, social work, and nursing) on helping patients with problem drug/alcohol use (pre-abuse) This pre-training survey attempts to identify where the students in five domains. The questions for the workshop are: Are the questions appropriately aligned with domains? Have the questions sufficiently saturated the domains? Domains/feedback:
i. Knowledge relative to medical conditions:
1. Re-title the domain to include the key questions: Knowledge r/t medical consequences of problem use
2. Turn A3 and A3 into more subtle questions that model something that the learners should do
ii. Knowledge of substance us and misuse behaviors:
1. Confirm that the questions are up to date with NIAAA, especially B2
iii. Knowledge and use of SBIRT:
1. Re-word the 5th entry in C1, so that it is more accurately the exception.
2. Consider combining C2 and C3 as they are close (although distinctly different in the training program)
3. Specify “residents” as these will be the only respondents to these questions
iv. Attitudes about substance abuse patients:
1. Check wording on D2
v. Attitudes about student ability to help patients:
1. Check wording on E8/E12
b. Many thanks to all who participated!
2. Next Workshop Meeting(s): Thursdays, 11:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m., at Given Courtyard South Level 4. Remember: the first 15 minutes are for checking in with each other.
a. Oct 9: Rodger’s national webinar for AHQ titled “The errors of our ways: From co-located behavioral health carve-out to Transformed Triple Aim focused Medical Behavioral integration”
b. Oct 16: Marianne’s topic – TBD
c. Oct 23: Connie’s presentation to Bridging the Divide: “Strategies for Managing Opioid Prescriptions”
d. Oct 30: Kairn?
Posted by Connie at 10/02/2014 01:33:00 PM